The monumental Basilica dedicated to the Matrydom of SS Peter and Paul rises on the Nadur hill, dominating the Gozo skyline. Its extensive remodelling in the early twentieth century at the hands of one of Malta’s most gifted artists, the sculptor and architect Francesco Saverio Sciortino (1875-1958) transformed it into an architectural landmark of considerable artistic significance. This was coupled by an important decorative project of painting, carving and stucco which transformed the interior into one of the finest in the Maltese islands.
This collaborative and lavishly illustrated volume, edited by artist and art scholar Mark Sagona, brings to the attention of the art connoisseur and the general public the noteworthy collection of paintings and sculptures, together with decorative works in silver, wood, bronze, marble and stained glass. It scientifically discusses these works and places them – including the architectural fabric of the church – within their international and local context and provides the reader with essential material for the full understanding and appreciation of the art, architecture and decoration of this important church.