Professor Maurice N. Cauchi, AM, MQR graduated MD (Malta) and pursued further education at the University of London. He was a Professor of Pathology at the University of Malta, and had previously held senior positions in universities overseas.
His interest in disseminating scientific information to the general public can be gleaned from his involvement with talks on radio to the general public, public lectures, including a stint as a lecturer for the University of Malta of the Third Age, as well as his many contributions to the local press in Malta – the latest articles are collected at: mauricecauchi.wordpress.com.au
He has published extensively on scientific matters, as well as on issues relating to health and its relevance to society, including:
– Is-Saħħa (1997)
– Life is a Miracle (1998),
– Ix-Xjenza u s-Soċjetà (2000),
– Bijoetika fl-Ewropa tal-lum (2002),
– Health, Bioethics and the Law (2006),
– Health Issues Today: medical, societal and bioethical (2011).
During his time as President of the Bioethics Consultative Committee in Malta, he organised annual conferences of interest to the general public, which have let to publications which he edited, namely:
– Bioethics and Disability, (1999),
– Patients’ Rights, Reproductive Technology, Transplantation, (2000),
– Inter-professional Ethics in Health Care (2001),
– Bioethical Issues at the Beginning and End of Life, (2002),
– Ethics, Science and Society, (2003).
In addition, he has published monographs relating to migration issues, and on various aspects of pathology.
He currently lives in Melbourne, Australia.