Malta – the Baroque Island is a representative survey of the rich mosaic of the island’s architectural legacy during the rule of the Order of St john (1530-1798). The survey presents a broad overview of local examples in the realm of both civil architecture and military fortifications. It traces the evolution of local Baroque architecture from the austerity of the early days of the Order in Malta, during the mid-sixteenth century, to the rhetorical and sovereign posturing, that permeated the eighteenth century. The volume highlights the works of both local and urban landscape. It is a tribute to the works of diverse architects such as Francesco Buonamici, Lorenzo Gafà, Romano Carapecchia, Francois de Mondion, Andrea Belli and others who produced some of the most endearing works of architecture of this period.