Fortifications of the Knights Hospitallers in Mellieħa

978-9995702786
Paperback

Out of stock

Join the waitlist to be emailed when this product becomes available

Description

The northern areas of Malta and the Aħrax peninsula in particular had always been exposed to the natural elements of the North-west wind and the constant incursions of pirates.

On many occasions they had to be abandoned and left to the mercy of these raiders who inflicted great damages to the crops and to the small scattered farming communities existing at the time.

It was only at the beginning of the 17th Century, when the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem, Rhodes and Malta started building towers, that a sense of protection was beginning to be felt among the local country people.

St. Agatha or the Red Tower, built in 1649, was the first beacon to bring a ray of hope and security to these areas and within ten years another two watch towers were added on the initiative of Grand Master Martin De Redin.

Around 1715 the Order embarked on a massive building programme to safeguard our shores, and Batteries, Redoubts and Entrenchements were constructed along the coast to present a formidable line of defence against the enemy.

Additional information

Weight 330.0000 g
Dimensions 24 × 17 cm
Publisher
Pages 92
ISBN 978-9995702786
Cover
Year of publication

Product categories and tags

SKU: 9789995702786 Tags:

You may also like…