The First Church of Valletta: Our Lady of Victory

9789995731069
Hardback

Description

Our Lady of Victory is the oldest church in Valletta and its roots go back to the end of the Great Siege of 1565.

The Grand Master at the time, Jean Parisot de Valette, laid the foundation stone for the new capital city which bore the Grand Master’s name in 1566 on Mount Sceberras, the peninsula which had played such a decisive role in the siege, overseeing both Grand Harbour and Marsamxett Creek.

The church was an important venue for the Knights of the Order of St John and eventually for the British Roman Catholic community. However, the World War II bomb that destroyed the neighbouring Opera House shook its ceiling leaving it prone to the elements. Post-war years saw the further decline of the church.

Various restoration projects have been undertaken in the past 20 years by Din l-Art Ħelwa, with the help of numerous individual and corporate sponsorships, the last 12 of which were under the watchful eye of former DLH president Simone Mizzi, who is currently the church’s warden as well as the NGO’s secretary general.

The beautifully illustrated hardback was edited by DLĦ council member Petra Caruana Dingli and looks at its history and architecture, its art and artefacts, and of course the various restoration projects carried out over the past 20 years, illustrated by photos taken by Daniel Cilia.

Edited by Petra Caruana Dingli, with photography by Daniel Cilia and a foreword by Monsignor Paul Carmel Vella
The contributors are: Giovanni Bonello, Mario Buhagiar, Robert Buhagiar, Maria Grazia Cassar, Kenneth Cauchi, Stephen Degiorgio, Giuseppe Mantella, Simone Mizzi, Stephen Rickerby, Joseph Schirò, Amy Sciberras, Lisa Shekede, Conrad Thake and William Zammit.

Additional information

Weight 1900 g
Dimensions 29 × 24 cm
Author , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Cover
Language English
Publisher
Year of publication
Pages 256
ISBN 9789995731069

Product categories and tags

You may also like…